Friday, April 1, 2011

Mamie and Poppa come to visit

Two days after Anita and Liberty left, Mamie arrived for a 3 week stay to help me out with the baby and hang with her grandkids. I was very excited to see her, and to show her everything about our life in Geneva. Having her here was a great help. She did a lot of baby holding and rocking, diaper changing, and playing with Sam which freed me up to take naps. She did all my laundry and dishes for three weeks (mom...we are now about 2 weeks behind..when are you coming back) and was more than happy to eat tacos and frozen meals for dinner.

Cuddles

Upon arrival, first order of business was to hold her newest grandson. We both agree that he looks a bit like she did when she was a baby. Second order of business was to take a nap, trying to make up for the red eye flight (took about a week to get over the jet lag) and third order of business was to go pick up Sam from the Nanny's. Sam was pretty excited...not least of all to get the presents that were promised him - basically the box of Christmas presents that my parents sent in October which didn't arrive until late January so Aaron and I decided we'd just keep them out of sight until my parents arrived. He quite enjoyed all of this.

Rhys learns he has a Mamie who loves him very much

We spent the first week of the visit close to home - walked to France to the grocery store (sorry mom...by 20 min walk I meant 45 min.), drank a lot of coffee, went to the Wednesday flea market in Plainpalais (hadn't been before), ate at my favorite bakery and hung out in the backyard given the gorgeous weather (high teens in early March!). By the end of the week we were getting excited for Poppa's arrival and for our upcoming trip to Florence (more on that next blog).

Poppa's arrival had everyone in a good mood. Rhys was happy to meet him and Sam got to spend half an hour playing his favourite game, "Chase Me" at which point he discovered a new hiding spot - the hedge hole (good for the 'I can't see you so you can't see me' type of hiding that 2.5 year olds are best at). After a nap, we celebrated Poppa's arrival with the first of the two Swiss cheese dishes - Raclette.

The start of a beautiful relationship

"Chase me Poppa, chase me!"

The hedge hole

Giving Rhys a check up with doctor kit/Christmas gift

While both Mamie and Poppa were here much fun was had. Sam didn't have to go to school, as one week we were off to Florence and the next week we had big plans (see next post), and Rhys had someone to hold him whenever he wanted (he now has high expectations). Mamie and Poppa took many walks around Collex - and now know it better than I do (don't think I've taken many walks myself. should get on that). They even got to check out where Daddy and Sam do the recycling. They got to watch Coronation Street (apparently ahead of where things are at back in Canada) and got acquainted with some fun British television programming - Come Dine with Me (where they find these people I don't know). We went swimming (well, Mamie, Poppa and Sam did - Rhys and I did groceries) and to the Pirate park (much plundering was done). And they discovered Rhubarb yogurt (I will definitely miss that back home). But most of all we just got to hang out together.

Sam's pre-school in Collex: Le Petit Chevalier

Somewhere in there I turned 35. Yikes!

It was very sad to see them go at the end of the month. But it won't be long before we are back in Canada for a few months and so it was only goodbye for now. And they'll be back!


Sad to see them go

P.S. Where was Aaron during all of this? At work or behind the camera lens. Thanks honey!

No comments:

Post a Comment