Thursday, April 14, 2011

My baby is growing up

Two other things happened the week Mamie and Poppa were here:

1. Sam drew his first stick person:

but even more exciting...

2. Sam was potty trained!!! (no picture as we are trying to INCREASE readership).


This latter was achieved after Sam had been using the potty for over a year (since 14 months - but only when prompted). I have been quite keen for Sam to reach this milestone, but have been really desperate since Rhys was born. All of a sudden, changing Sam was waaaaaaaaaay more disgusting (if you know what I mean) and also. I felt like I was changing a teenager in adult diapers. One evening after a particularly gross diaper change, I simply said, "Sam, Mommy REALLY doesn't like this. I would be SO happy if you went on the potty instead of in your diaper." Sam, always sensitive to his Mommy's feelings, said, "Yes. When I go on the potty you feel happy. When I go in my diaper you feel...(I was expecting 'sad')....sick!". Bang on buddy.

Then one day Sam decided that he wanted to wear underwear and so I indulged him, and decided that I'd try to end this diaper thing once and for all. I kept him home from pre-school and the Nanny's for the week to work on it. There were many accidents in the first few days (even a really nasty one - lucky Aaron who discovered it) but even day one he told us he needed to pee (too bad he already had). Understandably there was a learning curve after using a diaper for so long. As the days progressed, he had peed in his pants less and less before he told us he had to go until day 4 when he told us he had to pee BEFORE he peed. Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment